Founded by Becky Compeau in 2019, Winter Pickle Press creates hand-printed and distinctive linocut greeting cards and other paper goods in a small workshop in the Bloomfield neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- that my business shouldn't harm the environment. I operate in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly way. I use 100% recycled card stock and envelopes (up to 100% post-consumer waste), safe water-based and vegetable oil-based inks, and biodegradable plant-based protective sleeves when necessary. I also use recycled and recyclable packaging for all orders I ship.
- that there's something special about items that are truly handmade. All my designs are carved by hand into linoleum printing blocks and every single card and product we sell is individually hand-printed using ink brayers and a printing baren or small press. No scanners and digital printers here! This process results in slight variations between every print and card due to the hand-mixing of ink colors, the pressure of the press, and especially the touch of these human hands. In my view, these small variations are what make truly handmade items special and unique.
- in supporting causes that you are passionate about. That's why I donate a portion of sales of my "Sending you a big hug penguin card" to The Innocence Project, a national non-profit organization that is dedicated to exonerating the wrongfully convicted and reforming the criminal justice system in the United States.
- in spreading a little bit of joy where and when you can. I love receiving cards in the mail and knowing that someone has thought of me. I love sending them too. If you feel the same then you're probably in the right place. Thank you for checking out Winter Pickle Press and reading about my small woman-owned business!
Charitable donations from sales:
April-May 2020 - Meals on Wheels America - $737.00
Donations to Innocence Project are ongoing with every penguin hug card sold! Check out www.innocenceproject.org
to find out more about this fantastic organization.
You can now find Winter Pickle Press out in the wild at the following places:
- Free People, FPMART (national online retailer)
- love, Pittsburgh (Downtown)
- love, Pittsburgh (Mount Washington)
- love, Pittsburgh (Strip District)
- Pittsburgh Center for Arts & Media (Shadyside)
- Songbird Artistry (Bloomfield)
- Adda Bazaar & Coffee Shop (Garfield)